Load Restrictions - In Effect March 22, 2023

Road Maintenance

The following schedule outlines the municipally maintained roads, private and unmaintained roads. These roads can be found on the Road Map [PDF: 128 KB].

An Entrance Permit Application [PDF: 116 KB] needs to be completed for a new entrance to a property.

Note the Township is not responsible for the maintenance of Hwy 17 or Hwy 630. These provincial highways are the responsiblity of the Ministry of Transportation.   All enquiries related to these highways can  only be addressed by MTO  by calling MTO at 705-472-7900.  Winter maintenance of these roads is currently contracted to Transfield Services. They can be reached at 705-840-2200.

The Municipality of Calvin follows the Municipal Mininum Maintenance Standards [PDF: 145 KB] to guide its road maintenance. 

During the winter period, we require that no vehicle be parked overnight within the Municipal road allowance. It is the responsibility of the home-owner to ensure that snow  removed from their driveway be pushed away from the road and be cleared away from the snow plow route on road shoulders as per By-Law 2004-013. See also the Notice from Calvin Roads Department issued March 2016.

Any questions related to may be directed to Calvin’s Acting Roads Superintendent, Brandon Mayew. Best way to reach Brandon is by email at roads@calvintowship.ca; at the Calvin roads garage 705-744-2210 (no voice message ability) or by calling the main office at 705-744-2700 to leave a message. Should your call/email relate to a request for service on municipal roads including for road condition improvements, please only follow the process outlined below. 

Requests for service on munipal roads, including requests for municipal road condition improvements are acknowledged, logged, tracked and responded to in a timely fashion, however only if they are formally submitted to the Municipal Office.

At all times, in emergency situations, (fallen trees, washouts, plugged or broken culverts etc.) asap please contact the office at 705.744.2700.


-submit a road service request or road condition improvement request by submitting this form, completed and emailed to clerk@calvintownship.ca or dropped off to the main office


-contact the main office at 705 744 2700 for assistance with how to request a roads related service or condition improvement. 



Make sure you know the rules for outdoor fires and follow safe practices. Each year dozens of residents and cottagers across Ontario lose structures and property to fires caused by careless burning. Your Fire Department would like to remind you that outdoor burning regulations are enforced between April 1 and October 31. If you must burn, follow these steps:






Your municipality follows the provisions of the Forest Fire Prevention Act and the O.P.P. have the authority to lay charges if you are found negligent.


At anytime the Ministry of Natural Resources or Your Fire Department may ban or restrict outdoor burning in this area until further notice. It is your responsibility to be aware of the Rules, Regulations and By-Laws pertaining to outdoor burning in this area. Be aware that if a forest fire results because you have used fire improperly, you could be held responsible for the costs of putting out the fire and any property damage that may occur.


If you have any further questions or if you would like a description of an approved incinerator, please call the Calvin Municipal Office 744-2700



Dial 911



Any fire is more likely to get out of

 control on a hot, dry or windy day. Burn during the coolest, dampest and calmest time of day, between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. Don’t even consider burning when it is windy. Be aware that in the spring after the snow melts and before the grass and buds have started to grow, it is extremely hazardous to burn.



If you are burning an area of grass or leaves, make sure the area is surrounded by a fireproof boundary. Roads, ditches or ploughed ground provide good barriers against fire spread. Your fire should be at least 18 metres (50 ft.) away from any structures or forest debris that might catch fire.



Small fires can be controlled by one person using hand tools and water. Keep your piles of wood, brush, or wood by-products to be burned less than 2m (6.5 ft.) high and 2m (6.5 ft.) in diameter. Keep your fires limited to one pile burning per acre. An area of grass or leaves can be burned if the area is less than 1 ha (2 acres) and the length of the flaming edge is less than 30m (100 ft.)



Many injuries are caused by careless use of flammable material and underestimating fire behaviour. Never use gasoline to start your fire as it is highly explosive. A responsible person must be available to tend the fire at all times, even if it is contained in an incinerator. You must have adequate tools (shovel, rake) and water on hand to control the fire if it begins to spread. Use caution around hydro poles and be aware of overhead and underground cables. Be sure your fire does not cause irritation or inconvenience to your neighbours.



Remember, coals can smoulder for hours and hot embers can be blown by the wind, easily setting fire to dry grass or twigs. Drown hot coals thoroughly, then cover them with sand or gravel. Every person who starts a fire is responsible to have a way to call for help if your fire gets out of control. Have a two-way radio or, better yet, a phone on hand.




Click the link below:


Before you burn...