For all enforcement or animal control related issues please contact the Municipal Office 8:00 am to 4:00 pm at (705) 744-2700.
After hours please call (705) 497-6961.
The Municipality of Calvin’s dog by-law requires all dogs must have a Municipality of Calvin dog tag.
- Dog tags are issued Free of Charge for the lifetime of the dog.
- Dog tags are not transferrable.
- Replacement tags are available free of charge in the event a tag becomes lost or destroyed.
A dog shall be deemed a nuisance in the following circumstances:
- If the dog persistently cries, howls or barks
- if the dog causes damage to municipal property or private property
- if the dog interferes with dumps or scatters garbage or trash
- if the dog persistently chases or intimidates pedestrians using public or private paths, roads or sidewalks adjacent to the property where the dog is kept or harboured
Every owner shall:
- cause his/her dog(s) to be kept under restraint at all times
- Not permit a dog(s) to be at large at any time
- Not permit a dog(s) to trespass on municipal or private property
Seizure of Dogs
- A Municipal Enforcement Officer may enter upon any public or private property with the consent of the owner or tenant of the property for the seizure of any dog(s) running at large.
- Where an injured dog is seized it shall be destroyed without delay, for humane reasons or for reasons of safety to other persons or animals.
- A Municipal Enforcement Officer may destroy the dog in a humane manner as soon after he/she thinks fit and in that event, no damages or compensation shall be recovered on account of their action.
- Any dog running at large shall be recovered by the Municipal Enforcement Officer.
- The dog shall be transported by the Municipal Enforcement Officer and impounded at the North Bay & District Humane Society.
Redemption of Impounded Dog
- a registered dog wearing a tag - the owner shall be notified of the impoundment of their dog
- a dog not wearing a tag - the Municipality is not be responsible for notifying the owner of the dog’s impoundment
Any person who contravenes any provision of this by-law is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine, penalty or order as provided for in the Provincial Offences Act or in the Municipal Act.