Please refer to the MunicipalDog By-Law below. Staff are on site during regular office hours , Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to answer any calls relating to the application of this By-Law.
The Municipality of Calvin’s dog by-law requires all dogs must have a Municipality of Calvin dog tag, which can be obtained at the Municipal Office, in person Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 4:-00 p.m. with the exception of statuatory holidays, emergency closures.
- Dog tags are issued free of charge for the lifetime of the dog.
- Dog tags are not transferrable.
- Replacement tags are available free of charge in the event a tag becomes lost or destroyed.
A dog shall be deemed a nuisance in the following circumstances:
- If the dog persistently cries, howls or barks
- if the dog causes damage to municipal property or private property
- if the dog interferes with dumps or scatters garbage or trash
- if the dog persistently chases or intimidates pedestrians using public or private paths, roads or sidewalks adjacent to the property where the dog is kept or harboured
Every owner shall:
- cause his/her dog(s) to be kept under restraint at all times
- Not permit a dog(s) to be at large at any time
- Not permit a dog(s) to trespass on municipal or private property
Seizure of Dogs
- A Municipal Staff may enter upon any public or private property with the consent of the owner or tenant of the property for the seizure of any dog(s) running at large.
- Where an injured dog is seized it shall be destroyed without delay, for humane reasons or for reasons of safety to other persons or animals.
- In such cases, no damages or compensation shall be recoverable on account of this action.
- Any dog running at large may be recovered by Municipal Staff.
- The dog shall be transported by Municipal Staff and impounded at the North Bay & District Humane Society.
Redemption of Impounded Dog
- a registered dog wearing a tag - the owner shall be notified of the impoundment of their dog
- a dog not wearing a tag - the Municipality is not be responsible for the owner being notified of the dog's impoundment.
- all dog recovery costs post impoundment are the responsiblity of the owner.
Any person who contravenes any provision of this by-law is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine, penalty or order as provided for in the Provincial Offences Act or in the Municipal Act.